My son’s little Jacket
This boy’s jacket from Burda (06-2011-136) finishes up quickly, just in time for winter in Rio. (I’m wearing my StyleArc Laura Leggings in this photo too!) Its a cute pull-on hoodie in size “4″ for boys that works well for the most part; but there are a few problems with it.
Here’s the magazine photo. The boy’s neckline seems to be laying flat and straight.
Alas, on my son, this is not true. The hood goes almost to my son’s pants waistband and the weight of it pulls the neckline up and back leaving the “v” portion gaping. I think it is because I used a soft printed cotton flannel rather than a stiffer linen.
The sleeves also came out too long. If I make this again I need to shorten them 2.5″. I am also thinking about deleting the hood and finishing the neckline with extended binding that would tie the “V” shut and keep out the chill. My husband has asked that I insert a zipper which would mean either slashing it lower and adding a CF seam. I like that this is cut and slashed because it makes it super easy to plan the print placement; however, a seam would be easier for installing a zipper. Also if I delete the hood, we loose the “easy grab” element.
Overall, I would say this pattern is easy and successful. It is a little big, but it is not the pattern’s fault. My son is realistically a size 3, but I made one larger so he could keep using it all winter even if he has a growth spurt. The biggest oddity is the hood. I plan on making this again with modifications.